Transforming Communities through:
- Faith Reintegration in prisons and youth correctional facilities.
- Parenting courses, meal programs in schools, pregnancy care centres.
- Reaching the unreached in neutral locations, creating a safe place to minister to those that are uncomfortable in the church environment.
- Providing quality, low cost resources through community thrift stores, after school programs etc...
Canada’s prison population is now at its highest level ever, even though the crime rate has been decreasing over the past two decades. Ten years ago, the number of inmates in federal prisons was close to 12,000. It’s now more than 15,000.
• Visible minorities up 75% in past decade
• Aboriginal women up 80% in the past decade
• CSC budget up 40% in the past five years - $42.6 billion spent on 2700 new cells
Whether inside or outside, being a ‘whole’ person is about more than having clothes on your back, food in your belly and a roof over your head. Fed, clothed and housed by Corrections Canada, each inmate’s physical needs are taken care of during their period of incarceration. But what happens to the rest of the person, from a social, spiritual, emotional, and intellectual perspective? And who attends to those aspects for an offender’s children, family and community, all still living on the outside and dealing with the ripple effects of an incarceration. Threshold Ministries takes a stand around what makes a person whole.
Our Evangelists serve is a variety of contexts all across Canada. Many of them are working with the disenfranchised, and those on the fringes of society. The first step is often building relationships by providing for their physical needs (food, shelter, clothing) and then sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ to meet and nurture the spiritual needs. We have Evangelists working with children, youth, adults and seniors in various programs and communities. By word and action, we see lives transformed and communities changed.
*statistics found on http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada-s-prison-population-at-all-time-high-1.2440039